December 19, 2005

In the moonlight on a full moon night

I looked at the moon
shining brightly in full.
I hoped you were here
and gazing at the moon with me.

But you were not here
and not any place near.
I talked to the moon and asked
if you were gazing too.

The moon with all its brightness
couldn't tell me an answer.
You were not here
but I wished you were.

I imagined your face
looking at me in tenderness.
As I began talking to you
I heard a reply.

I was startled and opened my eyes to see the real you
and when I looked into the face of the one who replied...
I didn't see your face in his.

So I took my eyes off his face
and gazed again into the full moon...
in that full moon night.

Oh you shiny moon
if you get a glimpse of him looking at you
please tell me where he is
and why can't he be with me
looking at you!

No comments: